Monday, December 14, 2009

Printed Pillow




As soon as I saw the post by Sara aka creative Jewish mom on dollarstorecrafts.com I knew I had to try this out- and an old shirt was saved and transformed into a midcenturyish pillow. Follow Sara's tutorial here on how to make the "stamps". Because I printed mine onto fabric, I used a fabric medium that, when mixed with acrylic paint, I supposed to work better with fabric - or something. IMHO years of art school tells me that once the acrylic paint dries on fabric- it's not going anywhere- so I don't think it's necessary at all.

Some tips to add:
  • at first draw very very lightly, this way you can adjust the design before you commit
  • the thicker and more filled in, the better the outcome (see the acorn in the detail picture)
  • use scotch tape on the back to make a "handle" before applying paint and printing -this will give your fingers someting to hold and make it less messy
  • the more you use the stamp, the cooler the result

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I so love your midcentury crafting! :) I agree w/your assessment of acrylic on fabric = not going anywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete