Friday, March 26, 2010

Pauline Pattern


Since I've been doing a lot of cooking and crafting I finally treated myself to making an apron. I decided I wanted a large pocket in the front, onto which I would embroider my drawing of Pauline from Der Struwwelpeter. I'm a novice embroiderer so it took me a couple of hours- I just would remind myself that all of her ribbons is what makes the image so horribly funny. I will post the rough pattern for the actual apron (hopefully) soon.

To transfer the (or any) pattern from paper to fabric, I found two methods online. The first, was to get an embroidery transfer pencil, available at fine fabric and craft stores everywhere except where I live. The second, more painful, but doable, way is to trace the pattern on to tracing paper (tissue paper would work just as well). Pin the paper to the fabric, place the paper and fabric combo in the embroidery hoop and start sewing through both the paper and the fabric. When you are completely done embroidering the design , gently tear away the paper and carefully remove any little bits that are stuck with a needle- as soon as this goes through the wash any last remaining bits would be removed anyways.

2 comments:

  1. Christine! So great to have you link up at Craft Schooling Sunday, really! thanks for dropping by and don't be such a stranger! All the best, Sara
    ps: this certainly doesn't look like a "beginner" you did a great job, can't wait to see the apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment and the encouragement Sara! I hope to participate in many Craft Schooling Sundays in the future!

    ReplyDelete